41 hours in Melbourne


After the long drive down from Sydney, I hopped on a train on the outskirts of town and landed at Flinders Street Station in the heart of Melbourne. My flatmate Eliot was going to Melbourne this weekend to visit his son, so I copped a ride, and while he was with his family, I explored the city.


Leaving the station, you enter Federation Square, where Australian Federation occurred in 1901, and which now houses a large arts complex, complete with modern architecture, tourists, interactive light and sound installations, and these two matching dudes with bicycles.


Melbourne is full of small laneways stuffed with cafes. This is Degraves St, one of the more popular laneways, and home to the excellent Degraves Espresso.


The laneways are also chock full of graffiti.




And people trying to photograph it.


Section 8 is a bar just off the strip that constitutes Melbourne's China Town. Although it's no more than a vacant lot enclosed by the walls of other buildings and a chain link fence, I was enticed to enter by the dance competition that was going on between several underage patrons. Once inside I discovered Argentinian BBQ firing on the grill and surprisingly inviting shipping material for seating. I purchased an excellent chorizo sandwich, before being offered free leftovers from the closing grill.


At the Queen Victoria Markets--an otherwise unexciting selection of souvenirs--I found this dance crew from Portugal.

No comments:

Post a Comment